Sunday, November 4, 2007

Exploring Indiana (1)

My exploration of outdoor spaces in Indiana began in July of 2006. As I settled in a life in Porter and LaPorte Counties, I began to make comparisons between places I had lived before and my new home. One of the first pleasures was discovering that there are sometimes days in August that don't require air conditioning.

I also discovered my daily life was filled with amazing views such as this pond where I work:

A few months later the pond was lovely in a whole new way:

By winter it had a lovely character of yet another sort:

The rest of campus was just as lovely.

By the the end of August I was settling into my new home and expanding my mental map of my new territory. It seemed that each week brought wonderful new surprises. Some such as this field of sunflowers clearly qualify as “modest astonishments, friendly shocks, sweet anomalies.” (from the definition of miribilia provided on page 175 of Pronoia; for more about this book and term see this post).

No comments: